MusicNL Projects-Artist Development Program
DEADLINE: July 29th, 2016 and December 2nd, 2016 @ 11:59pm
UPLOAD YOUR APPLICATION HERE
- To foster and continue to develop Newfoundland and Labrador
musical culture through the funding of diverse artists and genres
in demos, EP's, full-length sound recordings, marketing and
- Program will be broken down into a 3-tier system Applicants may
apply for up to 75% of eligible expenses to a maximum of tier
- Payment will be issued with 40% up front and 60% upon receipt
of final report.
- Monies are a grant and not repayable.
- Artists that have already received funding assistance under
this program are not eligible to reapply to the program for a
period of twelve (12) months after the official release of the
- The deadlines for submissions are July 29th, 2016 and December
2nd, 2016 received no later than 11:59pm NST
- Applications will be received electronically only. See 'How To Submit'
- The deadline for project completion will be one calendar year
from the date of application approval. All components will be
delivered including final report. The final 60% of funds will not
be released until final report is processed. No extensions will be
- Applicant must have been a MusicNL member for at least six (6)
months prior to the application.
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland &
Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application.
Proof of residency may be required.
- Grant will only cover 75% of eligible expenses
- Application must include detailed marketing plan
- Recordings must be commercially released (available for
purchase) and manufactured if applicable
- Recordings must be completed in a MusicNL member studio that is
located in Newfoundland and Labrador in order to access as an
- If applicant is also MusicNL studio owner a cap of 25% will be
applied to studios eligible expenses.
- Recording cannot be compiled of previously released material by
- All music genres are eligible for support
- Projects started but not released will be eligible for
- Not-for-profit groups or associations are not eligible under
this program. Please see MusicNL's Professional Development Program
for more information.
- The majority of any material to be recorded must be original
content (i.e. previously unreleased). In some special instances,
the jury may waive this requirement (i.e. specific genres). This
waiver will be made at the discretion of the jury on a per project
basis. In these cases, the jury will be instructed to evaluate
based on the "originality" of the arrangement.
- Applicants who have not demonstrated a proven track record
maybe be required to complete some type of business training at the
discretion of the committee in order to access top tier of funding
- Projects using MusicNL Business Members are eligible for
funding up to 75% of eligible costs. Any projects using businesses
located outside of Newfoundland and Labrador or are not MusicNL
Business members are eligible for funding up to 25% of eligible
The following must accompany your
- Complete Application Form
- Complete Project Budget (create
a document [Excel/Word] to show eligible and ineligible expenses
equalling total budget)
- Professional Demo (minimum of two (2) maximum of three (3)
- Marketing Plan
- Press Kit (EPK), and/or Website, and/or Social Media links
- Measured success including projected goals and expected
results. Form provided please
- It is strongly recommended that applications are submitted in
ONE document, not seperate files.
Eligible Costs for Program
- Only those expenses incurred following the date of
receipt of the application
- Producers' fees
- Engineer fees
- Musician fees
- Design & layout if applicable
- Eligible Costs for Marketing and Promotion:
- Website Design
- Printing Costs for Release (Posters, invitations)
- Social Media marketing
- Advertising costs (Product Release) radio, television,
newspaper ads, publicist
- Promotional videos
- MusicNL will recognize up to 25% of its contribution for
marketing and promotion only for expenses occurred outside the
province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- All management and legal fees
- All equipment purchases and musical instrument supplies
- All local transportation and all food expenses
- All cash payments without proper receipts
- All donated services
- Album release party expenses
- Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
- Applications will be considered by a peer jury consisting of
unbiased industry professionals. A combination of jurors will be
used including some jurors outsourced from outside the province of
Newfoundland and Labrador.
- This Jury will be made up of five (5) industry
- Your application form and supporting materials should provide
all the information the Jury needs to know about you and your
- Applications are first screened for admissibility by the
- Applications that are presented to the Jury are judged based on
the program criteria. The juror review percentages can be made
available to the applicant upon request.
- Each submission is judged individually and then against the
pool of applicants through a consensus building process.
- MusicNL recognizes the need for cash flow so payment will be
issued with 40% up front.
- The remaining 60% of the grant will be provided upon the
completion and submission of the final report and accompanying EXPENSE
- Please upload your final report here.
- Payment will be made on electronic and/or photo copied receipts
and paid invoices only. MusicNL reserves the right to request
original receipts to review if needed.
- No cash expenditures will be accepted without receipts.
- Upon project approval the applicant will be required to sign a
funding agreement contract.
- Applicants may apply for up to 75% of eligible expenses to a
maximum of tier amount.
- MusicNL will fund up
- Monies are a grant and not repayable.
- Receipts are subject to provincial government audit. Please
retain all supporting documentation. MusicNL is not responsible for
How To Submit:
- All applications must be submitted electronically
- All files must be compressed into a single Zip file. If updates are required
at a later date, please include a date in the file name.
- Guides are located here, to help you create a submission
file, and help you with the application process
- Click here
to upload your file package to our submission folder. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR SUBMISSION
- If you have any technical questions regarding your submission,
- It is strongly recommended that MusicNL be contacted at least a
month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project
before an application is submitted. Appointments must be made
- The contribution from the Government of Newfoundland &
Labrador and MusicNL MUST be acknowledged on all projects receiving
- Logos of both must be visible on the outside cover of the
finished recording jacket, on promotional materials, videos or on
online streaming sites or websites.
186 Duckworth Street
St. John's, NL A1C 1G5
Fax: (709) 754-5758
Phone: (709) 754-2574