This funding program is designed to increase awareness of provincially produced music at provincial, national and international levels, and to present NL music as an art form and viable economic driver. Export-ready musicians touring and expanding their market reach within and outside of Canada should apply.
Applications must be submitted 1 month (30 days) prior to the start date of the proposed project.
- $1500 solo
- $2000 duo
- $2500 group
- $2500 solo
- $3250 duo
- $4000 group
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application. Proof of residency may be required.
- Applicant must be touring in support of a commercially released sound recording.
- Applicants will be limited to a maximum annual funding amount of $5000 for solo artists and $8000 for groups/duos regardless of the number of applications made in that period.
- Monies are a grant and not repayable.
- A group is considered 3 or more individuals.
- Tours must include six dates in at least three different municipalities. Promotional dates such as radio appearances will be considered.
- Independent tours, tours in conjunction with other artists/groups, showcases, and other performances must take place outside of Newfoundland & Labrador with a minimum of six (6) confirmed dates.
- These six confirmed dates must take place in at least three (3) different municipalities outside of the province. For example, 3 shows at the same festival or event do not count as 3 different municipalities. Tours must also start or end in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Educational, professional development activities, showcases or festivals, recording, marketing and promotion. Please see separate funding programs available through MusicNL
- Projects that do not have a performance component
- Projects with less than six (6) confirmed dates
- Projects with less than three (3) municipalities
- Projects that do not start or end in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Applications received after two weeks before project starts
- Travel, including transportation costs to, from, and within target markets
- Meal per diem (what is a per diem? an allowance or payment made for each day) in accordance with Provincial rates
- Project specific promotional materials
- Side Musician Fees for solo artists and royalty artists. Please note: Royalty artists are those that will receive royalties from publishing, airplay, TV/video, product sales or any form of synchronization.
Restrictions to Eligible Expenses
- Best economy rates for flights, hotels and vehicle rentals only
- Mileage under Government of Newfoundland and Labrador provincial rate eligible only when using privately owned vehicle. Mileage forms must be completed.
- Promotional costs are eligible if limited to a specific project and during the specific project period.
- In order to access per diems or side musician fees applicant must have artist or groups individual signatures outlining number of travel days and must be a current resident of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Only those expenses incurred after the application has been received by MusicNL
- Any expenses to be paid by the promoter in lieu of payment to the artist applicant must be included at the time of application and also declared as artist’s revenue
- Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
- Foreign musicians and manager fees
- Award show ticket purchases
- Office rent and office wages
- Rental or purchase of any equipment
- Traffic ticket expenses
- Costumes and wardrobe expenses
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications must be submitted electronically
- If you have questions regarding your submission email firstname.lastname@example.org
- It is recommended that you contact Mariana at least a month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project before an application is submitted
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Your application will not be reviewed if you have a final report that is overdue
- Attach a budget that reports the full cost of the project (i.e. all expenses incurred even if not eligible under this program)
- Funding is intended to develop & build careers nationally & globally
- Funding is not to be considered a continuous subsidy
PAYMENT AND COMPLETION
- Payment will be issued with 75% up front and 25% upon completion of final report.
- Eligible travel under this program must start or end in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- MusicNL reserves the right to a period of four weeks (20 business days) in order to process a claim once all appropriate receipts and final report are received.
- Repayment shall be required if receipts do not exceed the 75% upfront payment
- Approved applicants must sign an agreement that outlines terms and conditions of funding.
- Approved applicants must submit a final report within thirty (30) days of the project end date.
- The final report must include a financial statement of revenues and expenses accompanied by original receipts/invoices as supporting documentation.
- The applicant must also submit copies of a invoices & receipts. This information must be laid out in spreadsheet format.
- Recipients could be subject a government audit. Please retain all supporting documentation.