This coming Tuesday, SiriusXM Top of the Country in partnership with CCMA, a new music competition offering a national platform exclusively for emerging Canadian country artists. Prizes include SOCAN Songwriting Camps, the opportunity to perform at one of Canada’s largest country music festivals, national press coverage and exposure, industry mentorship programs, opening for a major headliner at Country Music Week in Hamilton, and a grand prize of $25,000.
Here’s how Top of the Country will rollout this year:
- Registration opens February 13 (eligibility summarized in the attached document).
- Nine semi-finalists (three from each of Western, Central and Eastern Canada) will be chosen to record in-studio in Vancouver, Toronto or Halifax.
- Videos of the performances will be put online later this spring for a Canada-wide vote supported by a mass media campaign, giving artists exposure across the country.
- The top act in each region will move on as Finalists to play a set at either Big Valley Jamboree, Cavendish Beach Music Festival or a SiriusXM-sponsored festival in Ontario.
- All Finalists will participate in an industry mentorship session in Toronto.
- All Finalists will be sent to Nashville to participate in a SOCAN Songwriting Camp.
- All Finalists will play before a headlining act during Country Music Week at the SiriusXM CCMA Top of the Country Finale, airing across North America on SiriusXM, where one winner will be chosen by an industry panel and the audience.
- The winner will take home the title, a press tour, a SOCAN Songwriting Camp in Pender Island, BC, and of course, $25,000.
- Travel grants for artists will be provided every step of the way.