The funding in this program is designed to assist export-ready, independent artist development outside of the province, and to increase awareness locally, nationally and internationally of provincially produced music as an art form and as a viable industry with significant impact on the economy.
Applications must be submitted here no later than 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the start date of the proposed project. Late applications will not be considered.
- Applicants may apply for up to 100% of eligible expenses to a maximum of;
- $1500 Solo Artist domestic travel
- $2000 Duo domestic travel
- $2500 Group domestic travel
- $2500 Solo Artist international travel
- $3250 Duo international travel
- $4000 Group international travel
- Monies are a grant and not repayable.
- A group is considered 3 or more individuals.
- Tour consists of six out of province dates in at least three different municipalities. Promotional dates such as radio appearances will be considered.
How Are Decisions Made?
- The MusicNL Funding Committee is made up of a minimum of three (3) industry professionals and a Government Liaison.
- These meetings happen monthly and are facilitated by the MusicNL Program, Marketing and Communications Director.
- Your application form and supporting materials should provide all the information the committee needs to know about you and your project.
- MusicNL reserves the right to decline or approve any application.
- Applicant must be a member of MusicNL in good standing.
- Applicant must have been a MusicNL member for at least six (6) months prior to the application date.
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application. Proof of residency may be required.
- Applicant must be touring in support of a commercially released sound recording.
- Applicants will be limited to a maximum annual funding amount of $5000 for solo artists and $8000 for groups regardless of the number of applications made in that period.
Projects that include out of province independent tours or tours in conjunction with other artists or groups with a minimum of six (6) confirmed dates. These six confirmed dates must place in at least three (3) different municipalities. The tour must also start and end in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Educational, professional development activities, showcases or festivals, recording, marketing and promotion. Please see separate funding programs available through MusicNL
- Projects that do not have a performance component
- Projects with less than six (6) confirmed dates
- Projects with less than three (3) municipalities
- Projects that do not start or end in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Applications received after two weeks before project starts
- Travel, including transportation costs to, from, and within the target market(s)
- Per diems
- Project specific promotional materials
- Side Musician Fees for solo artists and royalty artists. Please note: Royalty artists are those that will receive royalties from publishing, airplay, TV/video, product sales or any form of synchronization.
Restrictions to eligible expenses:
- Best economy rates for flights, hotels and vehicle rentals only
- Mileage under Government of Newfoundland and Labrador provincial rate eligible only when using privately owned vehicle. Mileage forms must be completed
- Promotional costs are eligible if limited to a specific project and during the specific project period.
- In order to access per diems or side musician fees applicant must have artist or groups individual signatures outlining number of travel days and must be a current resident of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Only those expenses incurred after the application has been received by MusicNL
- Any expenses to be paid by the promoter in lieu of payment to the artist applicant must be included at the time of application and also declared as artist’s revenue
- Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
- Foreign musicians and manager fees
- Award show ticket purchases
- Office rent and office wages
- Rental or purchase of any equipment
- Traffic ticket expenses
- Costumes and wardrobe expenses
- The funding available through the MusicNL Market Access Program is intended to develop and build careers nationally and globally and is not to be considered a continuous subsidy.
- Successful applicants will receive investment support until funding for the fiscal year is exhausted. Money left over will be held for the next funding period.
How to Apply
All of the following must accompany your application:
- Complete project description
- Project objectives
- How your project meets the goals of the funding program
- Complete budget (all performance revenue and other funding sources must be included)
- Professional history of the artist/group
- Completed application form
- Marketing plan
- Tour itinerary
- Demonstrated ability to finance expenses not covered in this funding program
How to Submit:
- All applications must be submitted electronically
- All files must be compressed into a single .zip file. If updates are required at a later date, please include a date in the file name.
- If you have any technical questions regarding your submission, email TechHelp@musicnl.ca
- It is strongly recommended that MusicNL be contacted at least a month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project before an application is submitted. Applications must be submitted at least two weeks in advance.
- Appointments must be made through email@example.com
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Your application will not be reviewed if you have a final report that is overdue.
- You are required to use the budget template provided in the application Form.
- Attach a separate budget that reports the full cost of the project (i.e. all expenses incurred even ifnot eligible under this program.) This information will aid MusicNL in calculating the private investment in each project and to analyze the amount of investment Newfoundland and Labrador music initiatives might require.
Payment Process and Project Completion
- Payment will be issued with 40% up front and 60% upon completion of final report.
- Eligible travel under this program must originate and end in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- MusicNL reserves the right to a period of four weeks (20 business days) in order to process a claim once all appropriate receipts and final report are received.
- Repayment shall be required if receipts do not exceed the 40% upfront payment
- Approved applicants are required to sign a Funding Agreement that outlines terms and conditions of funding.
- Approved applicants are required to submit a final report within thirty (30) days of the project end date.
- The final report must include a detailed financial statement of actual revenues and expenses accompanied by original receipts/invoices as supporting documentation. The applicant must also submit photocopies of all invoices/receipts. This information must be laid out in spreadsheet format.
- Recipients are subject to provincial government audit. Please retain all supporting documentation.
- All projects must be approved by March 31st of the current fiscal year.
186 Duckworth Street
St. John’s, NL A1C 1G5
Fax: (709) 754-5758
Phone: (709) 754-2574