The Folk Alliance International Conference is the world’s largest gathering of the Folk music industry and community (crossing a diverse array of genres including Appalachian, Americana, Blues, Bluegrass, Celtic, Cajun, Global Roots, Indigenous, Old Time, Traditional, Singer-Songwriter, and Spoken Word).
2018 FAI Conference
DATE: February 14-18, 2018
- Aug 29, 2017: Early Bird Prices End
- Sept 13, 2017: Official Showcase Applications Due (5pm CT)
- Oct 30, 2017: Official Showcase Artists Announced
Membership is not required to submit an application. All selected artists and accompanying musicians are required to be paid registrants of the conference.
All non-US artists must be legally able to enter the United States and are responsible for acquiring all necessary travel permits including visas when necessary. Typically, a work visa is not required to perform a non-paid showcase, however a work visa is required if you have any paid performances before or after the conference on the same trip.
IN-ELIGIBLE: Artists who had an Official Showcase in 2016 and a second Official Showcase in 2017 are not eligible to apply in 2018. They may still arrange Private Showcases in 2018 and are welcome to reapply for an Official Showcase for the 2019 conference. This policy ensures turnover and access to Official Showcases for our wide community of established and emerging artists.
In order not to compete with Official Folk Alliance International Showcases, and to maximize the community and career impact of presenter and industry attendance on-site, artists selected for an Official Showcase, the Kansas City Folk Festival lineup, or as Music Camp instructors are not permitted to perform concerts within a 15-mile radius of the conference hotel between the hours of 6pm – 3am, February 14-17, 2018.
- This clause does not restrict private showcases at the conference, radio performances, media interviews, or in-store signings.
- Off-site events (within the above conference dates/times/radius distance) cannot be promoted in any advance communication to the FAI delegate list.
- Off-site events (within the above conference dates/times/radius distance) cannot be promoted in any on-site branding, advertising, announcements, or activity.
- Any use of the Folk Alliance International name or logo (in relation to an off-site event) must be approved in writing by FAI in advance of all events and promotion.
How to Apply
Official Showcase Application Fee
May 30, 2017 – July 10, 2017
FAI members $15, non-members $30
July 11, 2017 – Aug. 29, 2017
FAI members $20, non-members $40
Aug. 30, 2017 – Sept. 13, 2017 (due by 5pm CST on Sept 13)
FAI members $25, non-members $50
What You’ll Need to Complete the Application
- Credit card for application fee
- Contact information for the artist and all representation
- 50-word bio (3rd-person)
- Two different artist/band headshot photos (300dpi, color)
- Link to 1-2 audio files (note: the jury cannot review downloads, Dropbox or Google Drive files)
- Link to 1 video of a live performance of the proposed showcase format
- 2018/19 desired touring territory
- Link to highest profile media review received in the last 2 years
- Awards & recognition within the last 2 years
- Names/roles of all band members
- Stage plot (.pdf)