The Small Scale Activities Grant for Indigenous Artists funds activities that will advance artistic careers or practice. This may include acquiring materials for artistic production, engaging in career or artistic development activities or benefitting from specific expertise, advice or training from a professional artist or cultural carrier. This component is open to First Nations, Inuit and Métis individuals, artistic groups, collectives and organizations working in all disciplines.
You can apply for this funding at any point before the start of your project. Successful applicants will be notified usually within 3 months of submitting an application. Eligible artists, individuals, and organizations are able to receive up to $3,000 in Grants of this type each year (March 1st – February 28th/29th).
Your activities must be led by eligible First Nations, Inuit or Métis artists, cultural carriers or arts/cultural professionals.You can apply to:
- purchase/acquire materials for artistic production
- pay honoraria to other professional artists or cultural carriers for specific expertise, advice, or training
- engage in career or artistic development activities
You CAN’T apply for activities that occur before your project start date or for activities, materials or expenses that receive funding from any other Canada Council component or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
The following people and organizations are eligible to apply:
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis professional artists
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis aspiring artists working under the mentorship of a professional artist
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis arts/cultural professionals
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis cultural carriers
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis groups
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis for-profit organizations that have been in operation for at least 2 years
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis not-for-profit organizations not currently receiving core (operating) funding
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal. Organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants cannot apply to this component.
How to Apply
Applications are made directly through the Canada Council Website, but PLEASE NOTE: you will need to create an account and submit one or more profile(s) for validation at least 30 days before you want to apply.