The Canada Council for the Arts Travel Grant for Indigenous Artists funds First Nations, Inuit and Métis artists, arts/cultural professionals (including artists’ representatives), cultural carriers, artistic groups, collectives and organizations working in all disciplines. Grants support travel costs to attend significant events within Canada or abroad that advance your professional development, enable you or the artists you represent to access new markets or build national and international presence. First-time applicants are strongly encouraged to speak to a Program Officer before applying.
You can apply for this funding at any point before the start of your project. Successful applicants will be notified usually within 3 months of submitting an application. Eligible artists, individuals, and organizations are able to receive up to $30,000 in funding from this type of Grant each year (March 1st – February 28th/29th).
Activities must be led by eligible First Nations, Inuit or Métis professional artists, cultural carriers or arts/cultural professionals.
Travel must be at least 100 kilometres from your place of departure, and by invitation. You can apply for single or several destinations within 1 trip (if you are representing or promoting artists, you can request multiple trips) to:
- share artistic works or cultural knowledge
- participate in significant artistic or cultural events, including pow-wows
- undertake research activities
- build professional and artistic networks
- engage in professional development opportunities
- develop regional, national or international markets
If your application is for touring existing work, you must apply to the Arts Across Canada: Circulation and Touring or Arts Abroad: Circulation and Touring components. You can’t apply for activities that occur before your departure date or those that receive funding from another Canada Council program component or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
The following people and organizations are eligible for this type of grant:
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis professional artists
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis aspiring artists working under the mentorship of a project-related mentor
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis arts/cultural professionals
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis cultural carriers
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis groups
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis for-profit organizations that have been in operation for at least 2 years
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis not-for-profit organizations not currently receiving core (operating) funding
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal. Organizations presently receiving core grants CANNOT apply to this component. However, if you work within an organization that receives core funding, you can apply for projects not related to your organization’s activities by creating your own profile in the portal.
How to Apply
Applications are made directly through the Canada Council Website, but PLEASE NOTE: you will need to create an account and submit one or more profile(s) for validation at least 30 days before you want to apply.