Applications must be received here no later than 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the start date of the proposed project. Late applications will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible. MusicNL cannot guarantee that the application will be reviewed prior to the start of the tour.
Applicants may apply for up to 100% of eligible expenses to a maximum of:
- $500 Solo Artist
- $750 Duo
- $1,000 Group (3 – 4 members)
- $1,500 Group (+5 members)
- *An additional $500 per member (up to a maximum of $1,500) is available for travel to or from Labrador.
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application. Proof of residency may be required.
- Individuals/groups are eligible to receive funding under this program one time only
Independent tours, tours in conjunction with other artists/groups, and other performances. Promotional dates such as radio appearances will be considered. Tours will comprise a minimum of 3 confirmed dates in at least 2 different municipalities. Please speak with the MusicNL Programs Manager if you have any questions about your project’s eligibility.
- Touring outside of Newfoundland & Labrador, professional development activities, recording projects, and marketing activities. Please see separate funding programs available through MusicNL.
- Projects that do not have a performance component
- Projects with less than three (3) confirmed dates
- Projects with less than two (2) municipalities
- Applications received less than one week before project start date
- Travel, including all transportation costs to, from, and within the target market(s)
- Per diems (provincial government rates only –https://www.gov.nl.ca/exec/tbs/working-with-us/meal-rates/)
- Project specific promotional expenses
- Rentals of equipment
- Side musician fees
- Other support personnel which may include but is not limited to tour manager, sound tech, and lighting tech.
Restrictions to Eligible Expenses:
- Economy rates for flights, hotels and vehicle rentals
- Mileage under Government of Newfoundland and Labrador provincial rate eligible only when using privately owned vehicle.
- Promotional costs are eligible if limited to a specific project and during the specific project period.
- In order to access per diems, side musician fees, or support personnel fees, applicant must have signed agreements outlining the description of the work being completed and number of performances/travel days. Ask Mariana for a template!
- Any side musician or support personnel contracted must be a current resident of Newfoundland and Labrador where possible.
- Only those expenses incurred after the application has been received by MusicNL will be considered eligible.
- Any expenses to be paid by the promoter, buyer, or venue to the artist applicant must be included at the time of application and also declared as artist’s revenue. For example, travel buy outs, meal buy outs, and any other expenses paid as part of a performance agreement.
- Any expense covered by another funding Agency such as ArtsNL or FACTOR must be included at the time of application and also declared as artist’s revenue.
- Manager and booking agent fees.
- Award show ticket purchases
- Office rent and office wages
- Capital costs (ex: purchase of instruments, equipment, etc.)
- Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
HOW TO APPLY
- All applications must be submitted electronically
- If you have any technical questions regarding your submission, email email@example.com
- It is strongly recommended that MusicNL be contacted at least a month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project before an application is submitted. Applications must be submitted at least one week in advance of project start date.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Your application will not be reviewed if you have an overdue final report.
- Attach a separate budget that reports the full cost of the project (i.e.: all expenses incurred even if not eligible under this program). This information will aid MusicNL in calculating the private investment in each project and to analyze the amount of investment Newfoundland and Labrador music initiatives might require going forward.
How are Decisions Made?
- The MusicNL Funding Committee is made up of a minimum of three (3) industry professionals and a Government Liaison.
- The committee meets monthly, and meetings are facilitated by the MusicNL Programs Manager.
- Your application form and supporting materials should provide all the information the committee needs to know about you and your project.
- MusicNL reserves the right to decline or approve any application.
- Please allow for up to 8 weeks for decisions to be made on applications.
- Payment will be issued with 75% in advance and 25% upon completion of final report.
- MusicNL reserves the right to a period of four weeks (20 business days) in order to process a claim once all appropriate receipts and final report are received.
- Repayment of a portion or all of the advance payment shall be required if receipts do not exceed the 75% advance payment.
Click here to submit your final report.
- Approved applicants are required to sign a Funding Agreement that outlines terms and conditions of funding.
- Approved applicants are required to submit a final report within thirty (30) days of the project end date.
- The final report must include:
- A written narrative outlining details of the tour including audience numbers, audience reception, and next steps.
- A detailed financial statement of actual revenues and expenses accompanied by copies of original receipts/invoices with proof of payment (ex: e-transfer confirmation, bank statements, etc.) as supporting documentation. This information must be laid out in spreadsheet format.
Phone: (709) 754-2574 ext. 4