This funding program fosters and supports Newfoundland and Labrador musical culture through the funding of diverse artists and genres in singles, EP’s, full-length sound recordings, marketing and promotion materials.
Program is broken down into a 3-tier system Applicants may apply for up to 75% of eligible expenses to a maximum of tier amount.
- Payment will be issued with 75% up front and 25% upon receipt of final report.
- Monies are a grant and not repayable.
- Artists that have already received funding assistance under this program are not eligible to reapply to the program for a period of twelve (12) months after the official release of the funded project.
- The deadline for submissions take place twice yearly on the last Friday in July (July 30th, 2021) and the first Friday in December (December 3rd, 2021) at 11:59pm Newfoundland Standard Time.
- Applications will be received electronically only. See ‘How to Submit’ section below.
- MusicNL funding is intended for use by Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans in Newfoundland and Labrador. Persons applying for funding are encouraged to use MusicNL members and businesses based in Newfoundland and Labrador. Any portion of the project not completed in NL or with a MusicNL member business (where applicable) will only be eligible for 25% of costs reimbursed.
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application. Proof of residency may be required.
- Recordings must be completed in a studio that is located in Newfoundland and Labrador in order to access as an eligible expense.
- If applicant is also a studio owner a cap of 25% will be applied to studios eligible expenses.
- Recording cannot be compiled of previously released material by the artist.
- The majority of any material to be recorded must be original content (i.e. previously unreleased). In some special instances, the jury may waive this requirement (i.e. specific genres). This waiver will be made at the discretion of the jury on a per project basis. In these cases, the jury will be instructed to evaluate based on the “originality” of the arrangement.
- All music genres are eligible for support
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES
- Projects started but not released will be eligible for funding.
- Not-for-profit groups or associations are not eligible under this program.
- Applicants who have not demonstrated a proven track record maybe be required to complete some type of business training at the discretion of the committee in order to access top tier of funding ($10,000).
- Projects using Newfoundland & Labrador businesses are eligible for funding up to 75% of eligible costs. Any projects using businesses located outside of Newfoundland and Labrador (where applicable) are eligible for funding up to 25% of eligible costs.
- Producers’ fees
- Engineer fees
- Musician fees
- Design & layout if applicable
- Eligible Costs for Marketing and Promotion:
- Website Design
- Printing Costs for Release (Posters, invitations)
- Social media marketing
- Advertising costs (Product Release) radio, television, newspaper ads, publicist
- Promotional videos
- Only those expenses incurred following the date of receipt of the application
- All management and legal fees
- All equipment purchases and musical instrument supplies
- All local transportation and all food expenses
- All cash payments without proper receipts
- All donated services
- Album release party expenses
- Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
HOW TO APPLY
- All applications must be submitted electronically via the application form page.
- If you have any technical questions regarding your submission, email email@example.com
- It is strongly recommended that MusicNL be contacted at least a month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project before an application is submitted. Appointments must be made through firstname.lastname@example.org
PAYMENT PROCESS AND PROJECT COMPLETION
- MusicNL recognizes the need for cash flow so payment will be issued with 75% up front.
- The remaining 25% of the grant will be provided upon the completion and submission of the final report and accompanying Expense Claim.
The deadline for project completion will be one calendar year from the date of application approval. All components will be delivered including final report. The final 25% of funds will not be released until final report is processed. No extensions will be granted.
- Recordings must be commercially released (available for purchase) and manufactured if applicable
- Payment will be made on electronic and/or photo copied receipts and paid invoices only. MusicNL reserves the right to request original receipts to review if needed.
- No cash expenditures will be accepted without receipts.
- Upon project approval the applicant will be required to sign a funding agreement contract.
- Applicants may apply for up to 75% of eligible expenses to a maximum of tier amount.
LOGOS AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
- The contribution from the Government of Newfoundland & Labrador and MusicNL MUST be acknowledged on all projects receiving support.
- Logos of both must be visible on the outside cover of the finished recording jacket, on promotional materials, videos or on online streaming sites or websites.
David Shears, Programs Manager
186 Duckworth Street
St. John’s, NL A1C 1G5
Phone: (709) 754-2574 (ext. 2)